17 August, 2008

Salsa Vs. Tango

When I go out with friends and family and they ask, "What have you been up to lately?" I find myself pulling up a recording of saying the same thing I always do, "In school for Cosmetology, teaching Salsa full time and dancing Tango on the side." Then continues a series of questions as to, "Oh, how long have you been dancing?" or "Can I lose weight that way?" and, " Do you meet a lot of great guys?" (which that's a subject for a different blog, ‘Dating in the Dance scene, is it possible?’). However, the question I always seem to get hung up on is, "So, which do you like more, Salsa....or Tango?" I honestly cannot choose between the two, for they give me joy in two completely different ways.

For instance, I love the freedom of social etiquette in Salsa, being able to dance as many or as little songs as I want with a partner. There isn't the obligation to stay with one person for four whole songs. Salsa is lively, and sexy, where as Tango calls for more of a subdued, more reverent spirit, or as some of us like to call it, "The Tango Tragic." Your ability as a dancer isn't compromised in Salsa. You can still show that you're an advanced dancer even when paired up with someone who's only danced for a week. Where as in Tango, you really are only as good as your lead will allow, because of the constant close embrace. There are only moments in Tango where your individuality as a dancer is shown, and as a spectator if you're not paying attention, often, you'll miss it.

However, Salsa comes with its many flaws as well. First of all, you get sweaty a whole lot faster. If you don't want to be seen, you have to head to middle of the floor, because there isn't much rotating around the room. Even though your abilities as a dancer are not compromised, your safety is, because one bad prep for a multiple turn, and that's a pulled muscle, or a broken arm. Leads and Follows can be pretty sleazy, where as in Tango, that reverence of spirit tends create a more respectable lead (which refers back to my blog to come, ‘Dating in the dance scene, is it possible?’). Sometimes, when you're in a "Tango Tragic" mood, it's nice not to feel obligated to talk to others, you have the option to socialize or keep to yourself, where as in Salsa, if you're not socializing, you're not dancing either.

So you're asking yourself, "but that still doesn't answer which do you like more," and you're right, so my answer is always this: My commitment is to Salsa, but my love affair is with Tango, and neither the twain shall meet.
By Chantelle

What other dances do you enjoy? Can you compare them to Salsa, or are they just too different?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i have been searching some info on the difference between salsa and tango. I think you have described it the best way.. thanks a lot!!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, very good article. Thank you for sharing information. I learn Salsa, Batchata and Merengue. Love the music and high energy of these dances. For a while, I have been thinking to learn Tango, your article was good to help me decide that I can continue both Salsa and Tango without leaving one.