26 August, 2008

Why I love salsa. -Lydia

When I first fell in love with Salsa I had never danced in my life other than pirouettes around the living room as a child (and yes as an adult). Walking into a Salsa club in Nice, France (La Bodeguita) the music was infectious and the dancers were a community of energy. It seemed a loss cause me even grasping rhythms but 2 things helped me immensely. One was the live music and crowd that seemed to dance as one. The other was a women from Brazil who grabbed center stage and demonstrated the Samba and Salsa each night. Throughout the night she would then grab us girls who were trying to learn, line us up beside her and teach us footwork and movement in a energetic line. It was the first time in my life I understood what dancing and Salsa could be and felt my body loving it and surprise actually feeling the rhythm. It was also great to see girls soaking up each others energy and making the guys watch instead of lead for once. After spending a year and a half in France and mainly at La Bodeguita I was hooked and returned to the states determined to continue this passion. In some ways I did while in other ways I completely lost the passion and started going less and less. Since France I have been to many great Salsa clubs and met some fantastic Salsa dancers and finally teachers at Salsa Con Todo . The one thing I would still love to find is the energy at La Bodeguita created by a community of dancers and musicians feeding off each other. So in Seattle I think we need a venue that can create that and I think us girls need to get out there and practice our styling together.

By Lydia.

No comments: